Monday 10 March 2014

Giant Cupcake

Hi!

Another new week. Got much on this week? Mine is actually shaping up to be a pretty good one! We have card club this morning and this evening which is going to be good fun. Then on Wednesday evening I'm getting a train down to London to stay with my friend Emma. We're going to see some art exhibitions and hang out. On Thursday Sam is coming to join us so we'll all have Friday together before coming home in the evening! Sounds exhausting but it should be good fun too! Don't worry, I'll have some posts lined up for you while I'm away! 

So my friend Vicky asked me a few weeks ago to make a 30th birthday card for her friend. When I asked her if there was anything specific she was looking for she just said "big cupcake". Okay I think I can work something out there! 


Stamp Set: Express Yourself, Petite Petals
Ink: Pistachio Pudding, Crisp Cantaloupe, Gumball Green
Cardstock: Crumb Cake , Pistachio Pudding, Crisp Cantaloupe, Pool Party, Whisper White, Gumball Green, Silver Glimmer Paper
DSP: Sweet Sorbet

Punch: Modern Label, 1 3/4" Scallop Circle, 1 3/8" Circle, Petite Petals, Bird Builder, Scallop Border
Big Shot: Typeset Alphabet, Decorative Dots (SAB)
Ribbon: Pool Party Ruffle (retired), Silver Baker's Twine
Embellishments: Rhinestone
Other: Tooth Pick

So this card was a bit of a case of just adding and removing items until it looked right. 

I started by just drawing out a huge cupcake on a piece of printer paper using the cupcake builder as my inspiration for the shape. I then just worked at it until it was right and then cut the pieces of pattern paper and cardstock. Here's a photo of the back so you can see how it folds a bit better! 

I thought the striped Sweet Sorbet paper was perfect for the cupcake liner - adding the scallop border punch to the top made it even more realistic. It did however look like a lot of pattern with nothing to break it up. the ribbon I eventually decided on is some that was retired - I kind of wanted to use crisp cantaloupe ruffled ribbon but I didn't have any and using more pistachio would be overload I think.


The 30 piece is supposed to resemble one of those cupcake toppers that seem to be quite fashionable at the moment. I actually sandwiched a toothpick between two of the scallop circles and pierced it through the frosting layer. 


Some texture and sponging on the frosting was to add some interest to quite a large area of Pistachio Pudding and look kind of like sprinkles. 

The flowers were one of the later additions - I loved the topper but it didn't seem to quite gel with the card right. I guess the card just looked a little bare so I added some flowers and leaves. the rhinestones are a nice finishing touch as if they are just sprinkled on. 

Hope you enjoyed this. 

Happy Stampin',

No comments:

Post a Comment